Thursday, September 24, 2009

Hypnobirthing

On Wednesday I was visiting with a friend of mine, Becky, who is a nurse at McKay Dee hospital, where I will have the baby. She was suggesting anesthesiologists, nurses, etc that I should ask for when I go into to deliver the baby. I told her that I planned on having the baby natural. My first baby was a "natural delivery" in the sense that I did not have an epidural. I was induced and so it was not a medication free delivery. The delivery was painful, but the recovery was well worth the pain as I instantly felt wonderful and was able walk from the birthing room to the mother/baby room. I was even able to participate in a few things they do with the baby in the nursey that usually mom's don't get to be a part of because they are numb. So, I was excited and anxious to try it again. Becky told me about two of her children that where born natural as well. We discussed the pros's and con's and both agree that the natural birth was the better option. (Actually, everyone that I know that has done both has said that they prefer the natural over the epidural birth experience.)

Becky asked me what I had done to prepare for the birth. That caught me by surprise. I had not thought of ways to prepare for the actual labor and birth. I took a breathing class with my first baby, but it was mostly useless and so we had not taken another for this baby. She teaches a class at the hospital on hypnobreathing and said it was a wonderful way to prepare. I was very skeptical to say the least. I so do not buy into most of that new age stuff. However I had just had my feet zoned for the first time and could tell that it had worked to move the baby into the right position, so why not. What could it hurt to read a book and listen to a CD. I don't sleep anymore due to being seriously uncomfortable and so I have plenty of time on my hands.

Today I began reading the book and I have to say, I am really excited to try it. Kyle and I listened to the CD tonight after dinner and I have never been so relaxed. I had a braxton-hicks contraction while listening and I was able to make the pain stop entirely. I am so excited to try it. I was afraid it was going to be something hooky about visualizing colors or something like that, but this method is really just about relaxing and changing the way you think about the entire experience. Rather than it being a painful, tense, stressful experience it is a natural, calming, and happy experience. You are doing what your body was designed to do. I am really excited to try it out during the real thing. The idea of having a calm, peaceful birth is amazing. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment